Re: PCRE package for consideration

Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
Current libtool (1.5) DOES create DLLs properly. And you get the cyg prefix
for free.

It should, but doesn't.

I don't know which part of Libtool is responsible for mis-linking the pcreposix DLL, but it does not get linked as it should be, as Gerrit found out while trying.

Your problem is most likely not libtool but more the dependency on auto export that causes the wrong exports from the dll. To overcome this you must explicitly specify what to export from the pcreposix dll.

I am thouroughly unfamiliar with the inner workings of Libtool (and frankly would like to keep it that way) so as long as it doesn't work, I simply can't use it. I don't want to play down on any of the work that has been and is being done on Libtool, though - as soon as Libtool does the linking properly without any Cygwin-special stuff on my side, I'll be happy to drop the ON_WINDOWS and NOT_ON_WINDOWS stuff and use Libtool in stead (at least on Cygwin).

As for MinGW: as long as it doesn't work on Cygwin I'm basically assuming it won't work on MinGW either, as for most intents and purposes MSYS == Cygwin.

The same auto export functionality is used for both. This is one of the pitfalls of auto export.

Earnie.