Re: Pending packages status

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Charles Wilson wrote:

> >>Max:
> >>Personally, I don't see why the 1st release of a package need be -1, and I
> >>think that, in abstract, a version number should uniqely identify a version.
> >>
> >>On the other hand, I don't remember any confusion caused by the current
> >>practice.
>
> >cgf:
> > I don't have strong feelings about this other than that I think it would
> > be odd for the first release of a pacakge to be bushwa-1.10-15 and, given
> > some of the packaging discussions here, that is entirely possible.  I like
> > being able to look at an announcement and figuring out from the subject
> > if this is a recent release or not.
> >
> > Given that we haven't had any problems with starting out at 1, I think
> > we should continue to work that way.
>
> Yep, IIRC it *was* Pavel's personal preference.  It cetainly isn't mine.
>   I agree with Max: packages should be uniquely identified, to avoid
> confusion *during the prerelease phase*.  Imagine:
>
> "Bob, there's a proplem with your foo-1.3.2-1 package"
> "That's fixed in the third release of foo-1.3.2-1"
> "Wait, Bob, I thought I was using the third release.  Are you sure?"
> "Nope, you're right -- it's the *fourth* release that fixes the problem.
>   Here's the package md5sum..."
> "Um, bob, I just downloaded foo-1.3.2-1 and it has md5sum xxxx.  Is that
> newer, or older than the mythical fourth release?"
> "Yeah, sorry about that.  I gave you the md5sum of the fourth
> pre-release.  I expected that you would simply compare it to the md5sum
> of the package you've been complaining about (#3 ?).  However, you can't
> download the #3 nor #4 prereleases anymore. We're up to the sixth
> pre-release, and THAT is what you just downloaded..."
>
> This is especially true in my case, since for autotool releases I tend
> to put them up on my website in setup-compatible form prior even to
> "test:" releases on the cygwin mirrors.  I *need* to keep pre-release
> and pre-test versions unique if there have been any changes in them. Or
> I'll hork off my testers...
>
> As far as chris's comments go, he is right that we haven't yet had too
> many problems -- because most pre-release packages have not been
> "setup-installable". Thus, no problems (except for communication issues,
> as described above).
>
> I expect that as the cygwin userbase grows(*) that both of these
> conditions will change. (*) And recent evidence on the mailing list
> suggests that the cygwin userbase IS growing.
>
> --Chuck

IIRC, there was a suggestion of giving pre-release packages -0.* release
numbers, and switching to -1 for the initial release...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune