Re: Building /etc/passwd from setup.exe

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002 17:16:55 -0000 John Morrison <john.r.morrison@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > From: John Morrison
> > > From: Michael A Chase
> > > Don't a lot of the system files belong to the local account used for
> > > installation?  SYSTEM is also a local user though that is a special case.
>
> $ mkpasswd.exe -d
> SYSTEM:*:18:544:,S-1-5-18::
> Administrators:*:544:544:,S-1-5-32-544::
> mkpasswd: [2453] Could not find domain controller for this domain.
>
> $ mkpasswd.exe -l
> SYSTEM:*:18:544:,S-1-5-18::
> Administrators:*:544:544:,S-1-5-32-544::
  (other local users)

> so it looks like SYSTEM and Administrators are always output

Which means you'll get two copies of some lines if you run mkpasswd and
mkgroup with -d and then with -l.  Possibly an option to not write SYSTEM
and similar lines could be added at the same time -c is added.  Or perhaps
-c could combine the -l and -d outputs.

> $ mkgroup.exe -d
> SYSTEM:S-1-5-18:18:
> Cannot get PDC, code = 2453
>
> $ mkgroup -l
> SYSTEM:S-1-5-18:18:
  (other local groups)

> and the SYSTEM group so that shouldn't be a problem.

How forgiving is Cygwin of duplicate lines in /etc/passwd and /etc/group?
If it isn't very forgiving, maybe 'sort -u' could be used to remove
duplicate lines.

--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html