Re: unofficial packages

Robert Collins wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Wilson" <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu>
To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@syncretize.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: unofficial packages

Robert Collins wrote:

Yes, this requires documenting who maintains packges, but it doesn't

have to

be easily available to end users (i.e. the user interface doesn't have

expose it).

Hmmm...so *setup* would have to know who maintains what, as far as
official packages go. Now, this can't be compiled-into the executable;
it has to be distributed from the mirrors. Are you thinking encryption?
'cause that's pointless -- the decryption key has to be bound into
setup.exe; thus, available from setup's sources.

No, I'm think it's part of the setup.bz2 file.
IIRC, /encryption/ requires to know the _recipient's_ public key. OTOH, /signing/ the info with a known key requires only to know the _sender's_ public key.

Give every official maintainer an @cygwin.com address, and those addresses
point straight into cygwin@cygwin.com for maintainers that object to private
mail.

And this would make the info in the keyring suitable for public consumption - nothing sensitive in that.
The only 'gotcha' is, if I have a "superbiskit@cygwin.com" address - as I already have one at "@users.sourceforge.net" it would probably just relay mail to my normal inbox. Anybody ill-willed who gets it can be just as much a PITA as if he knew my "real" address.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr.