This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Need a teTeX-beta maintainer
- From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke at gnu dot org>
- To: Nicholas Wourms <nwourms at netscape dot net>
- Cc: cygwin-apps at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 19:28:43 +0200
- Subject: Re: Need a teTeX-beta maintainer
- Organization: Jan at Appel
- References: <20020702040545.GA21116@redhat.com><3D21D0F5.email@example.com>
Nicholas Wourms <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
>>Jerome BENOIT no longer has the time to maintain the tetex-beta package.
>>Many thanks to Jerome for his efforts over the last 1+ years.
> Since Jan Nieuwenhuizen already is already maintaining the cygwin
> teTeX-texmf TDS tree and lillypod depends on teTeX-bin to operate, it
> would make sense (to me) for Jan to be the teTeX-bin maintainer.
> There is no need to have 2 people maintaining parts of a whole
> package. Of course, whether or not Jan wants to do this is another
> story... What do you say Jan?
It makes some kind of sense. But I already made another vague promise
(netpbm) that I haven't kept until now.
This moring after reading Christopher's mail, I downloaded tetex-beta
and latest sources to see if I could painlessly take over. I spent a
good hour poking around, but I found that:
* tetex isn't prepared for --srcdir builds (annoying)
* tetex isn't prepared for cross builds (showstopper)
* Jerome's Cygwin fixes have still not found their way upstream
* Jerome's Cygwin patch isn't prepared for --srcdir builds
So... I'll promise to take a look at it, because I really like to
have a good tetex package in Cygwin. But, I can't promise to take it
over yet, as I don't run Windows (and thus also no cygwin).
If I can get the beast to cross build, and get it tested, I may step
forward to be the maintainer.
Btw: I've been putting quite some time in getting a fine guile release
to cross build for Cygwin, because this has a high priority for
me. But as yet I can't get a shared version linked. It seems I
need the latest autotools from cygwin, but I need them as cross
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <email@example.com> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien | http://www.lilypond.org