Re: -src package standard: proposal #5 and #5a

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 09:20:03AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>From: "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com>
>>The binary installation in setup.exe needs work.  It's going to start
>>getting a lot of gripes.  I'd like to suggest that the source
>>discussion be tabled indefinitely.
>
>Do you mean the package selection, or the way the binaries are
>installed, or things like resumable downloads etc from the wishlist?

Sorry, I meant the problem of not being able to "download everything".
We've apparently hit a toggle switch here where there was a previous set
of people who were upset because they had to download everything.  Now,
we've fixed that and there is another group who are upset because they
can't download everything.

I'm getting *so* tired of seeing people hit this insurmountable wall and
post their suggestions.  You have done an amazing job keeping your cool
through all of this.

So, I think we just need to extend the category selection to allow
a "Select All of this category" switch.  We don't need to worry about
prev/curr, etc.

I'm not sure how it should look.  I'm terrible with the initial design
of GUIs.

The other thing that I think needs to be done is that new packages
need to show up automatically.  So, the next time I run setup.exe,
I'd like to see cURL and nano showing up as potential download
candidates.  If I don't select them, then they'll be invisible
next time.

I don't want to be in the position of dictating next steps (mainly
because I really can't) but that's what I would like to see fixed
ASAP.

I'm even willing to work on this myself if no one else is actively
engaged in doing so.

cgf