This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: setup wishes -- any volunteers
- To: Robert Collins <robert dot collins at itdomain dot com dot au>
- Subject: Re: setup wishes -- any volunteers
- From: "Charles S. Wilson" <cwilson at ece dot gatech dot edu>
- Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 22:39:03 -0500
- CC: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com, cygwin-developers at cygwin dot com
- References: <EA18B9FA0FE4194AA2B4CDB91F73C0EF02E295@itdomain002.itdomain.net.au>
Robert Collins wrote:
> > The last time it made a difference was where I was forced to delay
> > a new net release for almost a year and a half for various silly
> > reasons.
> > cgf
> A side-question: could volunteers have made a release during that period
> (if they got their act together?)
Probably not. AFAIRC, that was back when cygwin was distributed as a
monolithic "full.exe" which contained not only cygwin itself, but all of
the other packages and utilities. Just too big of a mess for any entity
other than cygnus to try and make a release. Now, with the new package
structure -- sure, rolling releases (and even "non-sanctioned" binary
builds of cygwin itself) are possible. Viva la GPL.