This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: setup wishes -- any volunteers
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com, cygwin-developers at cygwin dot com
- Subject: Re: setup wishes -- any volunteers
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf at redhat dot com>
- Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:57:09 -0500
- References: <EA18B9FA0FE4194AA2B4CDB91F73C0EF02E290@itdomain002.itdomain.net.au>
- Reply-To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com, cygwin-developers at cygwin dot com
On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 11:44:39AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>I don't understand this (as both formats are GPL'd AFAIK) but I'm not in
>the mood for bucking corporate reality just now... what RPM resources
>are available at RedHat that might make my efforts on this easier?
>(Read: I'm willing to try RPM, just not as enthusiastic).
Dunno. I just don't want to be in a meeting where someone mentions
the Cygwin setup utility and asks what package format it uses. I
could probably defend it by stating that it was contributed by a
dedicated, selfless net contributor but I'd rather not have to.
Obviously dpkg is seen as a "competitor" to rpm and rpm is a Red Hat
This is one of those rare times where the fact that Cygwin is a
corporate-sponsored entity makes a difference.
The last time it made a difference was where I was forced to delay
a new net release for almost a year and a half for various silly