This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
- From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <gerrit at familiehaase dot de>
- To: cygwin-announce at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:13:04 +0200
- Subject: Updated: perl-5.8.5-3
- Organization: Esse keine toten Tiere
- Reply-to: The Cygwin Mailing List <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
Perl has been updated to 5.8.5-3
- This release fixes a packaging bug, Compress::Zlib wasn't included in
previous 5.8.5 packages due to this buildscript bug.
- Moved the distributed addon extension under from site_perl to
vendor_perl library path.
This is a bugfix release.
- fixed DB_file extension bug
- added extension XML::Parser, the libexpat interface
Cygwin specific changes:
- IPC support is now enabled, however to make use of it, it is required
to have cygserver running, see the cygserver README in /usr/doc/Cygwin
how to setup cygserver.
- libraries without a static archive are recognised by MakeMaker now.
- there are still some unresolved issues with PERLIO, best bet is to
define PERLIO=perlio in your environment, with this environment setting
all 881 tests are passing when running on NTFS.
- 5.8.5 should be binary compatible with 5.8.2, if you are seeing
problems with older extensions, please try to recompile these at first.
5.8.5 is a maintenance release for perl 5.8, incorporating various
minor bugfixes and optimisations. Please see the perldelta
the full details. Please report bugs using the perlbug utility. If the
build or regression tests fail, make nok. If the build fails to early
to run this, please mail perlbug at perl.org directly.
5.8.4 is a maintenance release for perl 5.8, incorporating various
minor bugfixes and optimisations. This release updates Perl to the
Unicode Character Database, Version 4.0.1, and fixes some minor errors
in Perl's UTF8 handling. It provides optimisations for Unicode case
conversion functions, map and sort, and on most platforms now provides
protection against memory wrapping attacks. Please see the perldelta
the full details.
5.8.3 is a maintenance release for perl 5.8, incorporating various
minor bugfixes, including eliminating a couple of errors in Perl's UTF8
handling. Please see the perldelta for the full details:
5.8.2 is being released to fix minor binary incompatibilities
discovered between 5.8.1 and 5.8.0. 5.8.2 is fully binary compatible
with 5.8.0, and wherever possible also binary compatible with 5.8.1.
The release also provides other minor bugfixes, including several for
ithreads. Please see the perldelta for the full details:
As always, you should conduct an appropriate level of testing before
using any new product in your production environment.
Canonical website: http://www.perl.org/
To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page. This downloads setup.exe to your
system. Save it and run setup, answer the questions and pick up
'perl' from the 'Libs' category, if you install it for the first
time, click on the 'skip' field next to 'perl' until '5.8.5-1' is
Note that downloads from sources.redhat.com (aka cygwin.com) aren't
allowed due to bandwidth limitations. This means that you will need
to find a mirror which has this update, please choose the one nearest to
If you want to make a point or ask a question the Cygwin mailing
list is the appropriate place.
CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO:
To unsubscribe to the cygwin-announce mailing list, look at the
"List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message. Send
email to the address specified there. It will be in the format:
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:
Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.
Gerrit P. Haase