Re: error processing 220-noteGNUstack-01.patch

Hello all!

On Wednesday 29 April 2009 22:59:25 ng@piments.com wrote:
> Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> > OK. I guess reiser4 is case-sensitive, is it not?
> Sure, it's case sensitive.
>
> but this does not seem to be a false error , the file does already
> exist.

No, it does (should) not exist. The patch creates the file:
  boehm-gc/ia64_save_regs_in_stack.S

and the file that already exists is:
  boehm-gc/ia64_save_regs_in_stack.s

The difference is subtle: the existing file has a lower-case 's' as
extension, while the file that gets created has a upper-case 'S'.

The patch does apply cleanly here on ext3.

Hence the question about the case-sensitivity of your file system.
If your file system is case sensitive, then if a file named "foo"
exists, then testing for existence of "FOO" will succeed. And the
patch utility will fail.

This happens all the time under Windows/Cygwin.

> I have not rerun anything since the run that failed. The error it
> states is correct.

Telling it again and again will not make it true:
 that file - does - not - exist - in the gcc-4.3.2 tarball.

If you have such a file, then:
- either your file system is not case-sensitive,
- or your gcc-4.3.2 tarball is not pristine.

> The file exists and has the expected content. Why is
> the patch being called?

The patch creates the .S (upper-case) file and removes a file with a
.s (lower-case) extension, and the same content.

> Is there a way with ct-ng to remove this patch and rebuild without it
> being refeched?

No, there is none.

> Or can you suggest another work around?

Let's try to understand what on Earth is going on:
- if there is a bug, let's shoot it down.
- if there is an operator error, let's update the doc.

Don't workaround bugs/errors: they're still there lurking until we
forget about the workaround, and we'll get bitten back sooner or later.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |