Re: x86-64-branch-3 test case

On 14.12.2019 20:50, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 9:02 AM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@suse.com> wrote:

>>> Did you mean "suffix"?  Will it implement m16:m64 in 64-bit mode
>>> for Intel64?
>>
>> I did mean "prefix" (the data16 one). And yes, it'll permit the
>> m16:m64 form, just like LFS et al already allow.

May I ask that we make progress with the actual issue at hand, rather
than discussing the 2nd step before the 1st? The $subject test case is
definitely bogus (and likely another result of putting in expectations
matching what the assembler happens to produce at a given point in
time, rather than having them express how things ought to be, fixing
the code if need be). The question is which of the two possible
behaviors we want to go with; for consistency with other code I think
keeping (emitting) the requested (but ignored by hardware) prefix is
the better model.

>>> If we want to support m16:m64 for Intel64, what syntax do we want
>>> to use in AT&T syntax?  If it makes assembler more complex, we
>>> should leave it alone since it doesn't bring much benefit.
>>
>> lcallq / ljmpq will be the obvious mnemonics to use for AT&T mode.
>> I didn't even think there was any question in this regard.
>>

> Please put your proposed syntax in the bug report.   On the other
> hand, I don't think it will get much use.

I don't understand - what need would there be to have this there,
the more that it's entirely expected that it would be this way
(paralleling ljmpw/ljmpl and lcallw/lcalll)? I could understand
your request if there was something unexpected or counter-
intuitive to happen. (As to "not much use" - I take it Andrew
entered the bug for a reason.)

Jan