updating branch name for daily date bump (part of binutils release preparation procedures)

Hi Nick,

Matthias came to me with a question during the GNU Cauldron, and
I meant to try to catch you afterwards, but never could find a good
moment for that, so I thought I'd mention it by email instead.

At the moment, we have one script which lives on sourceware.org
that performs the daily bump for both binutils and GDB. In the past,
it was only done for GDB, but since we were doing it, binutils asked
us if we could do it for binutils too. Which is of course fine.

The question Matthias has was whether someone from binutils instead
of myself switch branches each time a new one gets created.

Of course! I believe the reason behing me taking care of them
is purely convenience: this is currently done by calling a script
from a crontab on sourceware.org, and the contrab is maintained
via the gdb admin account. If the binutils group finds they would
prefer to take this task over (it might be more efficient),
there are multiple options:

  - create a binutils admin account on sourceware.org and use that
    account to perform the update; this may be a fairly tricky
    solution, as we might have synchronization problems with GDB
    wanting to do the updates at the same time, something the scripts
    do not handle.

  - Give binutils release managers access to the gdbadmin account.
    This would have to be discussed a bit with overseers and maybe
    the GDB Maintainers to make sure it's OK, but I don't forsee
    an issue with that other than the slight confusion that gdbadmin
    now is not just about gdb...

  - Have binutils do the bump from a machine that's not sourceare.org.
    After all, local access speeds things up and simplifies the question
    of authentication, but other than that, there is no requirement
    for the bump to be done locally. We'd still have the same potential
    synchronization issue as with option #1.

Note that, coincidentally, we've been discussing in the GDB BoF
what needs the current date bump provides, and looking at options
for getting rid of these daily commits. The AI are for me to gather
the information collected there, coming forward with a proposal
that would hopefully satisfy everyone's requirements. I suspect
that will take some time though, so daily bumps for GDB's sake
are not going away any time soon, but we're (I?) hoping that they might,
some day...

In the meantime, I'm of course happy to continue with the current
status quo.

--
Joel