Re: How to set a system-wide library path policy?

On 6/11/19 3:56 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 9, 2019 at 5:34 PM Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The system loader is in glibc. Adding libc-help to the CC.

>>> OK.

>>> Why would your distro binaries use your libraries? Such libraries are
>>> not present at static link time when they are built in the Feodra builders.
>>>
>>> The only reason your distro libraries would be used is if you used
>>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH that pointed to them, in which case you would be altering
>>> the global search order.
>>
>> Thanks Carlos,
>>
>> Here is a Solaris example because I'm updating Git for the 2.20.0
>> release. Linux behaves the same way as Solaris, so there' no material
>> difference here.
>
> Here's a Ubuntu Bionic Aarch64 example when running apt-get. The stuff
> in /usr/local was built for GnuTLS testing. Guile 2.2 was built from
> sources:
>
> Calculating upgrade... Done
>   dbus dbus-x11 libdbus-1-3 libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-data libpython2.7
>   libpython2.7-minimal libpython2.7-stdlib libpython3.6 libpython3.6-minimal
>   libpython3.6-stdlib libssl-dev libssl1.1 openssl python2.7 python2.7-minimal
>   python3.6 python3.6-minimal vim vim-common vim-runtime vim-tiny xxd
> Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1) ...
> /sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/local/lib/libguile-2.2.so.1.3.1-gdb.scm is
> not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

The dynamic loader does not normally search /usr/local/lib.

The use of ldconfig does not normally scan non-DSOs.

Why is it searching /usr/local/lib?

Do you have entries in /etc/ld.so.conf to force it to look
for libraries in /usr/local/lib?

Have extra patches been applied to this glibc to change the behaviour?

You should be taking this up with Ubuntu.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.