Re: RFC: ld: Add --section-ordering-file FILE

On 17.04.19 08:10, H.J. Lu wrote:
> gold has
>
>   --section-ordering-file FILENAME
>                               Layout sections in the order specified
>
> It has been used to improve performance in programs.   Using ld with
> custom linker scripts aren't very practical.

Typo? Was "Using _gold_ with custom linker scripts isn't very practical."
meant?

After all, using ld with custom linker scripts is eminently practical,
very convenient, and the way we've been flying for decades now. A custom
linker script keeps an embedded system's memory map, including memory
mapped I/O, ASICs, etc., and the firmware build's layout all in one
place, serving not only as a single point of control, but also as
system documentation.

Furthermore, ld's linker script syntax and behaviour is admirably
documented, allowing anyone to develop useful competence without much
effort. (Beyond a bit of practice/experimentation.)

Erik