This is the mail archive of the binutils@sourceware.org mailing list for the binutils project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Is -dis-symname supported by binutils?


Hi,

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019, Nick Clifton wrote:

> > Shouldn't it use the size of the symbol instead (at least on ELF)?  
> > Or disregard anything but function symbols for determining the next 
> > symbol?
> 
> You are right - it should skip non-function symbols.  I will create a 
> patch...

I don't like many of these consistency checks.  objdump is a low level 
tool, when I'm using --disassemble=foobar I'm presumably knowning what I'm 
doing, and certainly I want to see that symbol be disassembled.  If I 
happened to forget marking that symbol as function in my asm sources, or 
if it happens to be a data array containing instruction bytes, I still 
want it disassembled because I said so on the command line.  I.e. please 
don't add such check.


Ciao,
Michael.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]