Re: Linker exposing private symbols

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 04:22:46PM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> I have two questions. First, why doesn't the toolchain honor the
> visibility request (why do I need --exclude-libs)? I uess another way
> to put it is, how can symbols be re-exported if they are private?

What makes you think the toolchain is misbehaving?  Your visibility
command line options affect the code you are compiling, but you of
course are linking against other object files as well.  Maybe all the
symbols that seem unexpected to you come from libcryptopp.a or libc?

> Second, why is ALL case sensitive (and without a diagnostic)?

Seems good to me.  You asked ld to exclude All.a symbols.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM