This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH 2/4] LD: Support fixed-size sections some psABIs may require
- From: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at mips dot com>, binutils at sourceware dot org
- Cc: Vlad Ivanov <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 12:11:32 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/4] LD: Support fixed-size sections some psABIs may require
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <alpine.DEB.firstname.lastname@example.org> <alpine.DEB.email@example.com>
> Define a SEC_FIXED_SIZE section flag for target backends to use for
> output sections whose size has been fixed in the psABI. The size of
> such sections will not be changed anyhow by the generic linker and it is
> up to the target backend to get their size right.
One thing that worries me is - should the linker issue a warning/error
message if the user does attempt to change the size of a fixed-size section ?
Or maybe only issue the message if the size change would make the section
bigger than is allowed ?
Hmm, actually, going one step further - do we need to support a FIXED_SIZE(<vale>)
section attribute for linker scripts, so that these sections can be defined
there too ?