Re: Commit: Use of alloca considered dangerous

On 03/21/2016 10:56 AM, Paul_Koning@Dell.com wrote:

On Mar 21, 2016, at 12:30 PM, Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:

Hi Guys,

  It was pointed out to me the other day that there are some unbounded
  calls to alloca in the binutils, which in theory could lead to
  exploits.  So I tried adding -Wstack-usage=NNN to the command line and
  discovered that gcc would complain about any use of alloca, even
  bounded ones.  Still they were easy to fix, and removing the use of
  alloca, and variable length local arrays as well, seems like a good
  idea.

I agree that alloca() needs bounds checks, but I don't see why you say that avoiding alloca entirely is "a good idea".
Based on what I've seen through the years, if you can't put a hard bounds on an alloca, then you're far better off from a security standpoint avoiding it completely.

jeff