Debugging MIPS PIE executables

Hi,

I was wondering if any progress was made to resolve the problem discussed in the following threads:

https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2013-06/msg00183.html
https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2014-10/msg00200.html

Are there any experimental patches for binutils/gdb/glibc that I can try ? PIE executables are must in many security-conscious projects,  and the lack of ability to debug them is a serious problem.

Thanks.

Felix.