Re: RFC: PATCHES: Properly handle reference to protected data on x86

On Wed, 4 Mar 2015, H.J. Lu wrote:

> Protected symbol means that it can't be pre-emptied.  It
> doesn't mean its address won't be external.  This is true
> for pointer to protected function.  With copy relocation,
> address of protected data defined in the shared library may
> also be external.  We only know that for sure at run-time.
> Here are patches for glibc, binutils and GCC to handle it
> properly.
>
> Any comments?

I don't see any testcases in the glibc patch; it seems critical to have
sufficient testcases to make it easy for architecture maintainers to tell
if there is an issue for their architecture (and the testcases need to
have clear comments explaining any requirements on GCC and binutils for
them to work - that is, comments referring to committed patches or
releases rather than to anything uncommitted).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com