This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH 1/9] binutils,gas,opcodes.elf: remove never used SPARC features and upgrade hwcaps.
- From: David Miller <davem at davemloft dot net>
- To: jose dot marchesi at oracle dot com
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 20:12:31 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/9] binutils,gas,opcodes.elf: remove never used SPARC features and upgrade hwcaps.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1412266782-14873-1-git-send-email-jose dot marchesi at oracle dot com> <1412266782-14873-2-git-send-email-jose dot marchesi at oracle dot com>
From: "Jose E. Marchesi" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 18:19:34 +0200
> This patch removes support from GNU binutils for the following SPARC
> features, which were never released to the public or implemented:
> - The transactional memory instructions of the cancelled Rock
> processor (UltraSPARC-AT10): CHKPT and COMMIT.
> - The %cps ancillary state register, also introduced in the
> UltraSPARC-AT10, along with the associated rd/wr instructions.
> - The RANDOM instruction.
These hw capability ELF flags are encoded into binaries and you
therefore cannot just repurpose them however you like. You will
therefore have to allocate new capability flag values for these
Furthermore, even though full transactional memory support never got
into a publicly released processor, recent chips do implement the %cps
register and implement the chkpt instruction as an unconditional