Re: ld -plugin option

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 7:17 PM, Andrew Pinski <pinskia@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Yuanfang Chen <cyfmxc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Maybe this is a silly question, however, it annoys me today for too
>> long.  I'm using ld 2.24, which shows that it supports '-plugin'
>> option by 'ld --help |grep plugin', however 'ld -plugin' returns
>> "unrecognized option '-plugin'".  I really don't know where the
>> problem is.  Another question is that  is the plugin interface
>> supported by ld and ld.gold the same?
>
> Yes the interfaces is the same.  The issue you are having is -plugin
> takes an argument and you are not supplying an option to the -plugin
> option.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew Pinski

Well, that's really confusing, I was expecting something like 'missing
arguments' like the ld.gold does.  :-)

I'am asking this because when I'm doing this:  (all are non binary object)
ld.gold -plugin=/path/to/plugin  a.o b.o c.o
everything goes fine.

but
ld -plugin=/path/to/plugin  a.o b.o c.o
complains  b.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized

If the plugin interface is the same, there should not be any problem, right?

btw, I'm using the LLVM gold plugin, which implements the gold interface.

Thank you,
cyf