This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: RFC: Support link with mixed IR/non-IR objects
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org, Andi Kleen <ak at linux dot intel dot com>
- Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 14:13:14 +0930
- Subject: Re: RFC: Support link with mixed IR/non-IR objects
- References: <20120506205217.GA3513@intel.com>
On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 01:52:17PM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> This is a re-submit of implemenation of SHT_GNU_OBJECT_ONLY:
Nesting object files within other object files looks every bit as
horrible as it did first time around.
> The motivation is to provide transparent support for LTO with "ld -r".
> It is used for Linux kernel LTO build.
Yeah, I know. The kernel build ought to use thin archives for
packaging object files instead, or even @ response files!
Australia Development Lab, IBM