Re: .note.ABI-tag extension for Android

Hi Thiago,

I'm discussing with Google engineers about adding a .note.ABI-tag to
Android binaries, and extending the note format to allow identifying an
Android application.

Why not use the ELF header for this ? You have the ei_osabi value in the e_ident field for example which is already used to encode different flavours of Linux.

Of course this does not provide much room to defined the Android API in use...

os_variant: 1
android_api: 15

I arbitrarily chose os_variant = 1 to mean Android.

So the idea is that if desc size is>= 20, then the fifth 32-bit word
will be examined. If it is 1, then this is an Android ELF file. The
sixth word will then tell you the API level the application expects.

Are there a large number of Android APIs ? I am wondering if it is necessart to have two new 32-bit fields, or whether it would be more efficient to combine them into just one ?