Re: binutils prerequisites (recent zlib version - what else?)

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
> kevin diggs <diggskevin38@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Unrecognized --with options are ignored. ?The difference in the
>>>
>>> Ian
>>>
>> Why? Wouldn't it be better to tell the poor, confused user that they
>> are configuring up the wrong tree?

Here I think the binutils/bfd/configure should check for ../../zlib,
which will be there in "gcc combined build", and use it, shouldn't it?
but of course then zlib needs to be built first etc.

maybe configure --help should have some support for AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS?

However, in this case it would still be missleading, because
binutils have --with-zlib (but no support for --with-system-zlib),
gcc has only (?) --with-system-zlib, so it seems to be let's say "incompatible"
a bit.

Steffen