Re: Z80 changes getting into releases

On Oct 12, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Chris Smith wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> Last October Arnold Metselaar fixed a few major z80 target issues that I raised
> with gas and ld, where they produced incorrect outputs.
>
> Fixes committed on 17/10/2009 and 25/10/2009.
>
> Currently I build binutils from CVS as these changes have still not made it
> into the release, making the stable release for this target broken. Anyone
> using the current or previous releases of binutils for target z80-unknown-coff-
> * will produce incorrect output.
>
> I am fielding support requests from people building my z80 projects because
> they are using a z80-unknown-coff-* binutils shipped with their distro (for
> instance debian ships 20.2.1). This is getting a little painful to manage, and
> often ends with having to change the entire z80 project so that a different
> assembler can be used, with no library, link map or linking support :-(
>
> What is the usual release build timing for changes?

There is a major release each year around October.  There is also a minor release around January.

You can always ask to commit a patch on the release branch, which is generally a good idea for patches that fix a regression or an important bug.

The good news is that we plan to do a release soon and will therefore includes these patches.

Tristan.