Re: [vms/committed]: set linktime

Richard Henderson wrote:
On 06/25/2010 10:10 AM, Douglas B Rupp wrote:
Well the system linker sets the field, no way around that and it's part
of the ABI. I've had HP support ask for me the link time to confirm I
have the right system image before, FWTW.

Hartmut may want to comment on this too.

Yes, e.g. the native hpux parisc linker fills in this value, but the binutils parisc linker does not.

The link date is part of the EIHI, the image identification record. You need an EIHI, which is pointed to from the image header. But you can have any date in the EIHI, all zeros is a valid date: 17-NOV-1858. That doesn't make much sense, but it works.

This date is shown by various tools, including SDA and its "show proc/image". That is, the date is in memory for an activated (or installed) image.

This date is excluded in CHECKSUM/IMAGE, which is the VMS tool to make sure different links generated the very same binaries.

Hartmut