Re: Scheduling x86 dispatch windows

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:08 PM, H.J. Lu <hjl.tools@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Quentin Neill
> <quentin.neill.gnu@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That adds quite a bit of complication to the compiler though -- getting the
>>> instruction lengths right (and thus proper packing & alignment) can be
>>> extremely difficult. ?I did some experiments with this on a target with
>>> *fixed* instruction lengths a while back and even though the port tried hard
>>> to get lengths right, it would routinely miss something. ?Ultimately I
>>> decided that it forcing the compiler to know instruction lengths with a very
>>> high degree of accuracy wasn't a sane thing to do. ? ?Dealing with variable
>>> instruction lengths just adds yet another complexity to the situation. ?Then
>>> add the complication of needing to add specific prefixes or nops and it just
>>> gets downright ugly.
>>>
>>> I'd probably approach this by having the compiler emit a directive which
>>> states what the desired alignment at a particular point should be, then
>>> allow the assembler to select the best method to get the desired alignment.
>>
>> Jeff,
>>
>> This is exactly part of our binutils side of the proposal, which I'll
>> outline now
>>
>> 1. Allow multiple prefixes for ADDR and DS (and possibly others)
>> a) multiple prefixes are benign in certain modes and are thus chosen for padding
>> b) although ".byte" works, the "ds" and "addr" prefix mnemonics are
>> more explicit (and they don't trigger a call to
>> md_flush_pending_output)
>>
>> 2. Add new pseudo-op to delineate alignment boundaries. ?This is
>> needed to signal any dispatch engine (below) to pad. ?Here are my top
>> two candidates, any feedback is appreciated:
>> a) ".flush" new psuedo op plumbed directly to "md_flush_pending_output()"
>> b) ".padalign" which calla a new "md_pad_align()"
>>
>> 3. Add dispatch optimization infrastructure which
>> a) is guarded by -mtune flag (and possibly other -f style flags)
>> b) tracks assembled instruction attributes and their fragments
>> c) can pad (insert benign prefixes) into previously assembled fragments
>> d) maintains dispatch engine state (according to some subset of Reza's rules)

>> The flags in 3a) should guard against these changes affecting current behavior.
>>
>> The assembly tracking in 3b) is for bookkeeping only; the padding in
>> 3c) would only occur when a compiler uses the pseudo-op in 2) or when
>> the dispatch engine in 3d) signals.
>>
>> For compilers that know exactly how to pad for the new processor, the
>> ability to
>> pad explicitly using 1), 2), and .align/.balign/.p2align should be enough.
>>
>> For assembly programs and/or compilers that don't choose to do any
>> dispatch optimization, it's anticipated that the engine in 3d) would
>> be useful for optimizing for -mtune=bdver1
>>
>> I'll post patches for these soon.
>
> Can you do it with directives only?

In theory, if the compiler knows all sizes and offsets, yes (given
some way to add multiple prefixes).

However in practice, no.

To get  GCC to know all would require replicating most assembler
functionality in  GCC, including parsing, assembling, and sizing
(parts of output_insn() and its child output_*() functions).  We
considered exposing one-line assembly as a library but you have to
provide (or reuse) the segment/frchain/fragment context, and I don't
think introducing a GCC->binutils dependency (other than runtime)
would be easy to introduce into the community.

This wouldn't cover the assembly language case either.

And remember, even if you have all the directives (and the
programmer/compiler knows all), the assembler must remember potential
padding locations until the decision (and knowledge about how) to pad
arrives.

--
Quentin Neill