Re: PROGBITS warning on .bss

On 25/04/2010 14:51, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The mips rtems BSPs are getting this warning
> when linking every executable:
>
> ..../mips-rtems4.10/bin/ld: warning: section `.bss' type changed to
> PROGBITS
>
> I can eliminate the warning by adding "NOLOAD" to
> the .bss section on every mips linker script but
> I wonder if this is the attributes not getting
> set right by binutils when the section is created.
> I found a similar bug for the m32r in the mailing
> list history.
>
> http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2007-12/msg00052.html
>
> Any ideas?

  Hmm, but that was for the .sbss section, which is a target-optional extra
section; the main .bss section is common to all targets, created in
as.c/perform_an_assembly_pass, and would have the seg_info bss flag set already.

  You'll probably have to dive down into bfd to figure this one out.  This is
an ELF target isn't it?  In which case I'm not going to be able to be a whole
lot of help.

    cheers,
      DaveK