Re: [Patch] add support for alpha/vms archives

On Apr 7, 2010, at 9:22 PM, Douglas B Rupp wrote:

>>> I know that DEC Fortran did this, I know you can just concatenate object  files with the append command.
>> Ah ok.  I think we won't support this now...
>
> A multiple module object file inserted into an archive doesn't remain so does it?

Is it a question for me or for Hartmut ?

I think we need to be imaginative to support multiple module object file in binutils.  This is a concept
that is very far from unix stuff.  Maybe it could be represented as an archive, but without a specific
header it would be hard to support it efficiently.

Tristan.