Re: PATCH RFA: Permit objcopy -add-section to work with /dev/null

Hi Ian,

+	    /* We don't use get_file_size so that we can do
+	         --add-section .note.GNU_stack=/dev/null
+	       get_file_size doesn't work on /dev/null.  */

You know this worries me a bit. If we do not check for ordinary files then the user could be tripped up if they accidentally specify some special file. Apart from /dev/null I cannot think of any other file that they might reasonably want to use.

Plus you are using /dev/null as a shorthand for creating an empty file and referring to that. Maybe it would just be simpler to enhance the --add-section option so that if no filename is specified an empty section is created. Ie:

--add-section .note.GNU_stack

creates an empty .note.GNU_stack section and:

--add-section .note.GNU_stack=foo.note

creates a .note.GNU_stack section containing a copy of the contents of the foo.note file.

First, it fails because objcopy silently fails when --add-section is
used with a zero length file:

	    size = get_file_size (s + 1);
	    if (size < 1)
	      {
		status = 1;
		break;
	      }

That just seems like an obvious bug.

Well I would agree that the silently failing is a bug. Generating a warning message but continuing would probably be a more appropriate action.