Re: gold and 2.20 release

On 13.10.2009 23:51, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Matthias Klose<doko@ubuntu.com> writes:
gold is now required for some GCC lto optimizations, so (as a packager
for a distribution) I would like to ship it in an appropriate way, not
getting in the way of ld, but having gold available if it's
needed. Currently you can only use either the old ld or gold, there's
no possibility to tell gcc which linker to use, which might introduce
some regressions if you always use gold instead of ld. Is there a way
to tell gcc which linker to use?

Put the linker in an otherwise empty directory under the name "ld". Then invoke gcc with a -B option pointing to that directory.

this approach has the disadvantage that this directory is hard to discover and maybe will be different depending on the os/system you use. we could agree on a common location like /usr/lib/gold or /usr/lib/gold/bin, but I would prefer a solution which is independent of the location.

Matthias