Re: mips-elf regressions

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, Tristan Gingold wrote:

> > > As SGI_COMPAT is true, this looks to be expected.
> > >
> > > Can someone confirm this ?
> >
> > Yes.  Although I don't really see a need to break the ELF standard
> > when there are no global section symbols.
>
> Aren't section symbols always local ?  If so we could also classify symbols
> into section symbols, local and non-local (thought for a future improvement).

 They are, but for SGI_COMPAT non-section symbols are always external,
which is not always true for "traditional" targets.  There's been
something subtle about it I don't recall exactly anymore, but you should
be able to track it down by chasing the discussion around the change to
BFD that introduced the distinction and/or scanning the sources for other
IRIX 5 conditionals.  I think this is something about one of the DYNAMIC
entries being interpreted by IRIX in such a way that it prevents the use
of a linker script to force symbols local at the static link time.  Which
the GNU C library depends on heavily.

  Maciej