This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: PATCH: Add support for "thin" archives
The attached patch adds support to bfd and binutils for a new kind of
archive I call "thin" archives.
Thanks very much for submitting this patch.
I do have one request however - please could you supply a patch to
readelf to allow it to process thin archives in the same way that it can
currently process ordinary archives. (Including supporting the
2008-03-19 Cary Coutant <email@example.com>
Add support for thin archives.
* bfd/archive.c (_bfd_find_nested_archive): New function.
(get_extended_arelt_filename): Add origin parameter.
(_bfd_generic_read_ar_hdr_mag): Deal with extended name
combined with a file offset.
(append_relative_path): New function.
(_bfd_get_elt_at_filepos): Deal with external members and
(bfd_generic_openr_next_archived_file): Thin archives.
(bfd_generic_archive_p): Recognize new magic string.
(adjust_relative_path): New function.
(_bfd_construct_extended_name_table): Construct extended
names for thin archive members.
(_bfd_write_archive_contents): Emit new magic string, skip
copying files for thin archives.
* bfd/bfd-in.h (bfd_is_thin_archive): New macro.
* bfd/bfd.c (struct bfd): New fields for thin archives.
* bfd/libbfd-in.h (struct areltdata): New field for thin archives.
* bfd/opncls.c (bfd_close): Delete BFDs for nested archives.
* binutils/ar.c (make_thin_archive): New global flag.
(map_over_members): Deal with full pathnames in thin archives.
(usage, main): Add 'T' option for building thin archives.
(replace_members): Pass thin archive flag to ar_emul_append.
* binutils/arsup.c (ar_open): Initialize new flag.
* binutils/binemul.c (ar_emul_append): Add new parameter for
flattening nested archives.
(do_ar_emul_default_append): New function.
(ar_emul_default_append): Factored out recursive code.
* binutils/binemul.h (ar_emul_default_append): Add new parameter.
(struct bin_emulation_xfer_struct): New parameter for ar_append.
* binutils/dlltool.c (gen_lib_file): Initialize thin archive flag.
* binutils/emul_aix.c (ar_emul_aix_internal): Add new flatten
parameter, currently unimplemented.
All callers changed.
* binutils/objcopy.c (copy_archive): Preserve thin archive flag.
* binutils/doc/binutils.texi: Update ar documentation.
* binutils/testsuite/binutils-all/ar.exp: Add thin archive tests.
* include/aout/ar.h (ARMAGT): New magic string for thin archives.
Approved and applied. I made a few small changes, mostly formatting,
although I did also take the time to fix the few cases where you
declared a variable in the middle of a block of code, and the AIX
PS. I have not checked yet, but are thin archives compatible with Ian's
new linker ?