--as-needed and GNU ld linker

Hi all,

I've found that I can *greatly* improve the binary compatibility of my programs on Linux using --Wl,--as-needed option with GCC when running the GNU ld linker (great feature - many thanks!).

However I wonder: why not make --as-needed the default behaviour of ld ?
For some sort backward compatibility?

I'd think that making --as-needed the default would greatly improve the compatibility of the linux programs distributed by a lot of developers (since very few of them know about --as-needed, unfortunately)... and this would turn in a more user-friendly experience for Linux users.

Thanks and keep up the good work!
Francesco Montorsi