This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Patricia trie symbol tables?
- From: Florian Weimer <fw at deneb dot enyo dot de>
- To: John Moser <john dot r dot moser at gmail dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org, Michael Meeks <michael dot meeks at novell dot com>
- Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:25:46 +0200
- Subject: Re: Patricia trie symbol tables?
- References: <1151289928.13566.181.camel@localhost>
* John Moser:
> Reading what Drepper says about -Wl,-O1 and why to use it, I get the
> gist of this: You'll do comparisons against
> "_ZN14some_namespace22some_longer_class_name" twice, what a waste. The
> point of -Wl,-O1 is to make the buckets smaller so this happens less
> often, as a side effect of making the hash table bigger (in other words,
> no guarantees; but it'll probably happen).
The technique described at <http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~rs/strings/>
might also be a win, compared to hash tables. (Quoting from my
bookmark file, as I'm offline at the moment.)