This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
RFC: Change x86-64 maximum page size to 2MB
- From: "H. J. Lu" <hjl at lucon dot org>
- To: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Cc: discuss at x86-64 dot org
- Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 16:23:26 -0700
- Subject: RFC: Change x86-64 maximum page size to 2MB
The current x86-64 maximum page size is 1MB. With the future
development, 2MB is better for performance. Using 2MB won't break
anything, except for up to 2MB gap in virtual address space per file,
instead of 1MB. x86-64 has 48 bits in virtual address space. It
shouldn't be an issue for most applications. I have a patch:
which can be used to implement "-z max-page-size=xxxx" so that people
can control maximum page size at the link time if they prefer different
maximum page size.