v850-unknown-elf-objdump, can't disassemble for architecture unknown

Hi,

when i create an ELF file for Atmel AVR with avr-gcc and binutils
configured and compiled for target "avr" i can generate an assembler
listing with: "avr-objdump -h -S file.elf >out.list".

In the office we use Greenhills tools for NEC V850.  So i configured
and compiled binutils-2.16 for target "v850-unknown-elf".

When i try to generate a complete assembler listing of our project
i get:

v850-unknown-elf-objdump: Can't disassemble for architecture UNKNOWN!

I created an empty project with just some basic stuff in it and created
an ELF file (~35 kB).  I could post this here if it would help.

I don't really know what this message means.  Can anybody give me a
hint for this?  Does the "UNKNOWN" in the error message relate to
the "unknown" in --target=v850-unknown-elf?

Can i modify the ELF file in a way to make objdump work?

Can i configure binutils differently to make it work?

If i try:

tmohr@schleim:~/p/v850/ilm_test/software/final/rom> \
v850-unknown-elf-readelf -h ilmg_rom.elf
ELF Header:
  Magic:   7f 45 4c 46 01 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
  Class:                             ELF32