LD improvements on PE (mingw)

Hi All!

I have strange situation on linking for PE under win32 and linux.
When I run link under win32, they work about 8 min and uses more than 200 Mb RAM.
When I run link same project under linux using cross-compilled mingw,
I give 1.5 min link time and 60 Mb used RAM.
Why equal versions (GNU ld version 2.13.90 20030111) of binutils give too different results?
Object files are build from C++ with using lots of templates.

Does any body works at this time to improve performance of linking for PE under win32?

I have big interest to improve ld for win32, and can help in patching
ld or bfd.

Regrads,
Dmitriy.