Re: why does -mcfv4e work for gas but not objdump?

Peter Barada <peter@the-baradas.com> writes:

> I'm having trouble tryng to figure out why -mcfv4e works for gas, but
> I have to specify -mm68k:mcfv4e for objdump to select the ColdFire v4e
> version of the m68k tools.

The gas -mcfv4e option works out of the archs array in
gas/config/tc-m68k.c.  The objdump -mm68k:mcfv4e option works off the
list found in bfd/cpu-m68k.c.  So there is no special reason to expect
the options to be the same, except whatever effort we make to retain
consistency.

> In bfd/cpu-m68k.c I've added:
>
>     N(bfd_mach_mcfv4e, "m68k:cfv4e",  FALSE, 0),
>
> and am wondering if I add the following to get objdump to parse -m5407
> is the correct way to solve this:
>
>     N(bfd_mach_mcfv4e, "cfv4e",  FALSE, 0),

That would let objdump accept -mcfv4e, yes, though not -m5407.

See bfd_default_scan in bfd/archures.c for how the objdump -m option
is handled.

The other thing you can do is write an m68k specific scan routine, and
use it in cpu-m68k.c.  That would let you strip some of the special
cases out of bfd_default_scan.

Ian