Re: Porting GAS and GLD to a new processor

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, hbchen wrote:
>   I plan to port a set of GNU tools(GCC,GAS and GLD) to a
> simple 8-bit processor with a new object file format.I have
> successfully ported GCC to a 32-bit RISC machine,

Which one?  I'm just curious.

> but have no
> experience in porting others. My current plan is to port the
> binutils,and from the internal documentation,

Beware; the internal documentation is a bit out-of-date.

>I roughly know
> which files I must deal with,but It seems that the available
> docs are based on the assumption that I will use a popular
> object file format such as elf,coff or a.out.

Yes.  Is your new format described anywhere online?

> I am not very sure
> about what the complexity of the porting work using a new
> object file format and how much files exactly I must care or modify
> or create.waiting for help! thanks all!>

Only a couple of times harder. :-)

See the last part of "bfd/mmo.c".  You'll see several #define:s
and a struct describing the format. I remember this interface
wasn't specifically documented anywhere, so I guess the source
is what there is.  Fortunately there are several object formats
to follow.

brgds, H-P