Re: FreeBSD 4.6 - binutils 2.14 installs useless libbfd

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 07:28:59PM +0100, John Levon wrote:

> Compiling and installing binutils 2.14 on Free BSD 4.6 stable installs a
> libbfd.a that is dependent upon libintl.a (unresolved _dcgettext etc.
> symbols) but does not install libintl.a itself, meaning the library is
> useless.
>
> What should be happening ?

In my (somewhat controversial) option, libbfd should never be installed.
The reason being that making libbfd a public library constrains the
binutils project to keeping old interfaces forever.  Or it should.  In
practice, libbfd hasn't retained backwards compatibility.  Other
projects such as gdb recognize this fact by distributing libbfd sources,
making an installed libbfd fairly useless.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre