Re: GAS macro formals as expression

Hi Fruhwirth,

>> > Is there any possibility to evaluate an expression and store it in a
>> > macro formal? Like \y = \x+1?
>>
>> At the moment GAS's macro code cannot do this. :-(
>>
>> What you need is a patch something like the one below.  With this you
>> can assemble code like this:
>
>> *** gas/Makefile.am	14 Aug 2003 07:04:09 -0000	1.80
>> --- gas/Makefile.am	9 Sep 2003 17:12:26 -0000

> Excuse me, have you just coded this feature? :)

Yes, but ...

> If yes, what a great response time. I'm looking forward to use this
> one,

 ... I am not planning to apply it unless I can be persuaded that it
 is a good idea.  At the moment I think it is a case of creeping
 featurism rather than a needed extension to GAS.

>  but I'm afraid my Linux kernel patch is unlikely to get accepted
> soon if it depends on such a brand new binutils feature.

True.  What is the real problem that you are trying to solve ?
Perhaps there is a way to code your program that will not need any new
features in GAS.