Need help building c4x cross compiler

To whom it may concern:
	I've grabbed the latest released binutils and build them for the c4x
target.  I've tried to build cross compilers before but have never had
success.  This time I'm determined, and not afraid to scream for help.

Here are the commands I ran after unpacking the source.

../binutils-2.13.91/configure --target=c4x --prefix=`pwd`
make
sudo make install

No problem.  Everything builds and installs.  I add `pwd`/bin to my path and
run basically the same thing in the gcc directory.

../gcc-3.3/configure --target=c4x --prefix=`pwd` -enable-language={c,c++}
make
Make fails because of an invalid switch being passed to 'as'.  The build
fails when trying to build libgcc.a.  The actual error is
as: unrecognized option `-m40'

Which seems to indicate to me that something happened when building xgcc
which is causing it to pass bad options to as.  However, -m40 is valid for
c4x-as.  Did I screw up the configuration of gcc, or the install of
binutils?

Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.

P.S. - I attempted to post this to binutils and gcc earlier but the binutils
bounced it because of HTML content.  Thank you Lookout.

Grant Mills
gmillsatrdinstrumentsatcom