Re: check mips abi x linker emulation compatibility

At Wed, 7 May 2003 17:04:54 +0000 (UTC), "Richard Sandiford" wrote:
> The point is that, until now, all configurations were ABI-neutral
> by default.  The test was written on that assumption and (to some
> extent) to make sure that they remained that way.  Now that we've
> given some configurations a default ABI, I suggest we just disable
> the problem tests for those configurations.

IMO, though, "ABI-neutral" doesn't mean "no ABI."  ABI-neutral means
safe for *any* ABI.  8-)

i.e., an ABI-neutral test doesn't care what ABI is in use, just like
an architecture-neutral test doesn't care what architecture is being
built for.

In fact, IMO, we should mostly be using ABI-neutral test cases, and
then either doing specific ABI testing with tests meant to check
specific ABIs (or, common test sources and different dump files to
test different ABIs).

yeah, it's a bunch of work to do "right" (my definition thereof 8-),
and requires overhauling the existing tests.

(I've started work on trying to make most of the tests
architecture-neutral.  However, there's a lot left to do even there,
and i'm not really making progress very often.)

chris