Re: problems re: makeinfo '--split-size' arg?

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 cgd at broadcom dot com wrote:

> While I realize that i should probably be using a newer 'makeinfo', I
> cannot easily do so at this time.

And the binutils manuals "should" be using the more recently added Texinfo
@copying feature (see the NEWS file in Texinfo 4.2 or later which says you
should switch to it "as soon as possible (as in your next release)" to get
proper copyright notices in HTML versions of the manuals).

> I suspect that the top-level Makefile should be modified so that
> it uses 'missing' instead of makeinfo if the --split-size option isn't
> supported.  (Looks like it was added in rev 4.1 of the texinfo
> package.)

For GCC it would be convenient to move the configure check for the
required Texinfo version (currently >= 4.2) to toplevel so features from
the same version of Texinfo can freely be used in all manuals, not just
those in the gcc/ subdirectory.  But other projects might not want the
required version to change whenever it's convenient to use some new
feature in some GCC manual and so the version needed for GCC is increased.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk