This is the mail archive of the binutils@sources.redhat.com mailing list for the binutils project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Strip 2.13 corrupts exe file


Nick Clifton wrote:
  I think that I have now traced down the cause of this problem.
  Strip is zeroing the $idata2 and $idata5 Data Dictionary entries
  (Import Directory and Import Address Table).  It is doing this
  because the code expects these entries to be reconstructed during a
  call to bfd_coff_final_link().

  Since, however a final link is not being performed, they are never
  reconstructed and so you end with a broken binary.  Please try
  applying the patch below to your sources and let me know if it fixes
  the problem.

Yes! With the patch applied, the stipped exe file works as expected. Thanks a lot, this was driving us quite mad.


One more question: isn't it strange I am the only one stumbling upon this? Or are the internals of our executable very non-standard? (I am not too familiar with pei-i386 myself.)

Sincerely,

--
Richard van den Berg, CISSP

Trust Factory B.V.      | http://www.trust-factory.com/
Bazarstraat 44a         | Phone: +31 70 3620684
NL-2518AK The Hague     | Fax  : +31 70 3603009
The Netherlands         |


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]