Re: Patch for addr2line to add one line printing

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 09:12:23PM +0100, reinhard dot jessich at telering dot at wrote:
> I needed a tool to convert the addresses of a stack backtrace to function names.
> addr2line is the right tool to do this, but the output is not optimal for a
> backtrace.
>
> I added an option (-o) to print the result in one line. Then I found this could
> be usefull for others, too.
>
> Attached is a patch, which adds the -o option.

Why adding obscure options for special cases, when the same results
can be achieved by a simple awk script like:

addr2line -Cfse executable addr1 addr2 addr3 ... | \
    awk '{ if (a++ % 2) print b " " $0; else b = $0 }'

In my opinion, a format option, if added, should be more generic, like
the '+' option for the date command.

Robert

--
Robert Schiele			Tel.: +49-621-181-2517
Dipl.-Wirtsch.informatiker	mailto:rschiele at uni-mannheim dot de