problems with version script

I am trying to specify global, i.e. exported symbols for a DSO using
Ulrich Drepper's paper as an example I came up with the following.

{
  global:
          BC;
          COLORS;
          COLOR_PAIR;
          COLOR_PAIRS;
          COLS;
          ESCDELAY;
          LINES;
          PAIR_NUMBER;
          PC;
          SP;
          TABSIZE;
          UP;
          _Z12aif_finalizeRi;
          _Z12chk_finalizeRi;
          _Z13ajbK_finalizeRi;
          _Z14aif_initializeRi;
          _Z14ajbK_ArchEntryv;
          _Z14chk_initializeRi;
          _Z15ajbK_initializeRi;
};

Now when linking with this script specified as -Wl,--version-script I
get the following error:

ld:export.tmp:1: parse error in VERSION script
ld:export.tmp:1: parse error in VERSION script

Line 1 of course only has the {. When changing line 1 to the following
everything works.

VERS_1.0{

So what do I need to do to get the linker to play nicely if no version
number is specified?

I am using ld version 2.11.2 on a SuSE 7.3 box.

Thanks,
Robert
--
Robert Schweikert                   MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
rjschwei at cox dot net                               LINUX