Re: debug format under cygwin

Hi Christian,

> When building gcc and binutils cvs trunks under windows xp/sp1 and
> cygwin (current) I get the following kind of assembler messages:
>
> /tmp/ccOgo2N0.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/ccOgo2N0.s:27: Warning: .stabs: description field '10001' too big, try a di
> fferent debug format
>
> Should I use an other debug format?

Yes :-)  [If you can...]

> $ more config.status
> #!/bin/sh
> # This file was generated automatically by configure.  Do not edit.
> # This directory was configured as follows:
> /usr/local/src/gcc-binutils/trunk/gcc-binutils/configure --with-gcc-version-trig
> ger=/usr/local/src/gcc-binutils/trunk/gcc-binutils/gcc/version.c --host=i686-pc-
> cygwin --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-binutils --disable-shared --enable-threads=posix
> --enable-libgcj --norecursion

gcc/config/i386/cygwin.h defines:

  #define DBX_DEBUGGING_INFO 1
  #define SDB_DEBUGGING_INFO 1
  #define PREFERRED_DEBUGGING_TYPE DBX_DEBUG

So it seems that DWARF2 is not an option that is available for a
Cygwin based build.  A shame, since this is the debug format that you
really need.  You could try adding:

  #define DWARF2_DEBUGGING_INFO 1
  #undef  PREFERRED_DEBUGGING_TYPE
  #define PREFERRED_DEBUGGING_TYPE DWARF2_DEBUG

to cygwin.h and see if that fixes things.  Or you could just ignore
the warnings.  They are telling you that some of the debug information
will be incorrect because the values are too big to fit into the
fields available, but in general the toolchain should still work.